Breast augmentation surgery can become vital for a woman due to a number of factors: breast loss from cancer, congenital abnormalities, natural small breasts, underdevelopment of the mammary glands, sudden weight loss, or loss of breast volume after breastfeeding. Most often, the desire to enlarge the breasts is not only a whim of the fair sex, but also a desire to defeat many complexes associated with this area of the body. Modern plastic surgery is evolving every day and it can offer women many opportunities to solve the problem of breast enlargement.
Surgical access methods for breast augmentation:
- Armpit method (armpit)allows you to maintain breast integrity as well as breast sensitivity. The postoperative scar is in an inconspicuous place. The disadvantage of this method is that successful breast augmentation requires a high level of professionalism on the part of the surgeon and good endoscopic equipment. It is extremely difficult to position the implant correctly when using the axillary method.
- Periareolar methodinvolves an incision along the lower edge of the areola of the nipple, just between pigmented and unpainted skin. Breast augmentation using this method is suitable for women who already have children, as there is a risk of damaging the milk ducts. The periareolar method is suitable for small implants. The advantage is that the surgeon can perform plastic nipple surgery at the same time without additional incisions.
- Submammary methodone of the safest breast enlargement methods. The surgeon makes an incision in the woman's breast crease to place the implant. This gives the surgeon easy access to the formation of the implant bed. That's why he positions it optimally. The scar after breast augmentation is invisible because it is covered by the natural breast fold. Best of all, this method of breast augmentation is suitable for women with a pronounced breast crease.
- Access to the umbilical cordnot popular because it allows the installation of implants that are filled only with saline and have already lost their relevance. The essence of this method is that implants are placed through an incision above the navel. The surgeon creates special endoscopic tunnels under the skin from the navel to the chest for endoprostheses. The implants are delivered through it into the breast pocket and only then filled with saline solution. The advantage of this method is the complete absence of scars and scars in the chest area.
- Transabdominal approachUsed in combination with abdominal plastic surgery to avoid making additional cuts on the patient's body. To do this, the surgeon inserts the implant through an incision in the anterior abdominal wall. The advantage of this method is the absence of scars on the chest.
Breastfeeding after breast augmentation
During breast augmentation surgery using the axillary or submammary method, the milk ducts in the breast are not disturbed. If a woman is genetically predisposed to breastfeeding, she may not be afraid for her future children. The only limitation is that planning for pregnancy after breast augmentation should start no earlier than 1-2 years after breast augmentation with implants.
Indications for breast enlargement
- Breast ptosis after breastfeeding;
- Ptosis of the chest as a result of severe weight loss;
- Underdeveloped mammary glands (breast hypoplasia);
- Loss of mammary glands from cancer;
- The patient's desire for larger breasts.
Varieties of implants for breast enlargement
It is common to distinguish implants of two types: anatomical and round. All of them have a rough or smooth shell. Which type should be used is always discussed with the surgeon. Experts divide the size of implants by their volume, which is measured in milliliters. Implants are selected strictly individually for each patient, taking into account their physiological properties.
Preparing for breast augmentation
In order for a woman to prepare for augmentation mammoplasty, it is necessary to have a personal consultation with a specialist who will provide information about the features and subtleties of the surgical procedure, as well as the planned result. After that, the patient is sent to a series of tests: a general blood and urine test, blood for HIV, hepatitis, syphilis, a biochemical blood test and studies: EKG, fluorography, consultation with a mammologist, gynecologist and anesthetist. The test results make it possible to determine the presence of contraindications to breast augmentation in a woman. The specialist also says that in preparation for an augmentation mammoplasty, it is worth giving up bad habits: alcohol and cigarettes in two weeks. You cannot eat or drink the day before plastic surgery.
How is breast augmentation performed?
On the day that breast augmentation surgery was planned, the patient should preferably arrive at the clinic in advance so that there is time to prepare for the surgery. Immediately before the breast augmentation, the surgeon will mark the woman's body according to the previously selected method of performing the operation. These can be dotted lines at the bottom of the areola of the nipple, lines around the breast fold, and so on. When all preparatory activities are complete, the patient is given general anesthesia. The chest area is then treated with a disinfectant solution and the augmentation mammoplasty begins. To do this, the surgeon makes cuts with a scalpel according to the markings and optimally inserts the prepared implants in order to achieve the best possible appearance of the breast. At the end of the augmentation mammoplasty, sutures and a bandage are placed on the incisions, then a compression garment is put on the woman. The total operating time will not exceed two hours, this is individual.
How should you behave after breast augmentation?
Immediately after the plastic breast augmentation, the patient remains in the hospital because the operation is performed under general anesthesia. Then the woman needs to come to the bandage every other day until the stitches are removed, about 1-1, 5 weeks. During the first week, the patient may experience heaviness in the chest and pain, but this is completely normal as the swelling of the mammary glands remains during this time. To alleviate the woman's well-being, the surgeon prescribes pain relievers. Do not forget that compression underwear must be worn, as it will prevent the development of edema, keep the implants in place, and make life easier during the rehabilitation period, which lasts about a month and a half. Over time, the edema subsides and it is possible to evaluate the actual results of breast augmentation. It is worth stopping wearing a compression bra only with the surgeon's permission. A simple and quick recovery after the operation will not be long in coming.
Why do you need compression garments after an augmentation mammoplasty?
Compression underwear is a special bra made of elastic fibers with a fastening strap over it. After an augmentation mammoplasty, it is worn to form a natural capsule for implants in the woman's breast. Thanks to this underwear, the breast implants are fixed in the correct position and do not move. Swelling after the operation cannot develop because the bra presses against the pectoralis major muscle. It is not possible for all women to replace compression underwear with a normal sports top. Before doing this, you should contact your surgeon first.
What should you give up immediately after breast augmentation surgery?
- Heavy physical activity;
- Lifting heavy objects;
- SPA treatments, bath, sauna;
- Sunbathing, swimming in open water;
- Sleep on your side, turn to your side.
Possible complications after breast augmentation
- Seromas, hematomas;
- Implant displacement, pronounced contour;
- Capsular contracture;
- Keloid scars;
- Loss of sensitivity in the nipples and breasts.
How are stitches smeared after surgery?
Thorough care is sufficient for successful healing of stitches after breast augmentation, while it does not require the use of special products and ointments.
Contraindications for breast enlargement surgery:
- Diabetes mellitus and tuberculosis;
- The presence of chronic and infectious diseases in the acute stage;
- Increased blood pressure;
- Poor blood clotting;
- Scarring tendency;
- Varicose veins;
- HIV, hepatitis, syphilis;
- Age under 18 years.
How Soon After Breast Augmentation Surgery Can You Have Sex?
You should not resume your intimate life any earlier than a month after plastic surgery. This is due to the fact that blood can flow to the chest during intercourse, as well as additional physical activity during which the chest can move. In no case should it be squeezed.
Can I sunbathe after the operation?
Over time, you shouldn't do this until the stitches have healed and turn white. Even if the sun does not affect her directly, a woman should not be outdoors for long.
Can I exercise after a breast augmentation?
It is possible, but it will take time for the body to recover. Even after a month and a half, it is worth exercising carefully, and you should not put any strain on the pectoral muscles at all.
When can I shower after a breast augmentation?
7 days later. But again, it is important to perform all movements carefully. It is better to consult your surgeon in addition.